Sunday, September 19, 2010

IDENTIFY




I met a man selling herbs and other remedies on a Salt River street yesterday. Having recently read a book about commercial plant production for medicinal use in South Africa, I was interested in his business, so I stopped for a chat. Eric, as he introduced himself, explained the uses of his wares to me, and assured me that the two items I was most interested in would grow again if I planted them and watered them twice a day, once before sunrise and once after sunset. I bought them, and tried to identify them from Eric's descriptions and Medicinal Plants of South Africa (van Wyk et al). I concluded that the one on the left is a crinum bulb, and the one on the right a rhoicissus tuber. I may be right, I may be wrong; only time will tell, perhaps. Rhoicissus is also known as Bobbejaantou, so I am told, so I planted it right under a tree where monkeys will be welcome to tie knots, if they want to. If Paisley agrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment